Pages

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow Millie Connors Illustration

Followers

Thursday, 6 October 2011

Donna Wilson

I would like to introduce someone who I found a long time ago but completely forgot about and recently rediscovered, Donna Wilson. In her about me; Donna Wilson set up her company in 2003 after making odd knitted creatures for her final show at the Royal College of art. The creatures sold out and since then she has built her business designing and making a collection of curious cushions, luxurious lambswool blankets, and variety of products for you and your home.
I love her creatures, they're wonderfully quirky and unique and her whole website is amazing, she has a huge range of products which all feature her special brand of whimsical kookiness.















































I found an interview with her in Computer arts magazine where she discusses how to make merchandise and run a successful business, which I found really interesting in relation to my personal project. I expressed a bit of a worry to Ian today about how I feel my work is already becoming a bit 'overdone', and I want to branch out into making other products, and I think Donna Wilson has definitely been a really inspirational person to look to, given her successes and array of products.















































She says in this interview 'I always try to be true to myself, I think it's really important to be happy with my own work so I can feel passionate about it. If I try to just design things I think will sell then they lose meaning to me. My work is a niche market - what I do is special, and a little bit different, and I like that'.
I'm going to try and keep this in mind because, although I do want to branch out, I need to be sure I'm not just trying to create things that are 'on-trend' and be true to myself and my style. I don't want to make anything that potential customers would already be jaded by, so I am going to use Donna Wilson as my personal inspiration to be original.

0 comments: